Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Professional Family

So I realized shortly after my last post that I unintentionally left it as a cliffhanger. Sorry for the confusion. After Maddie's echocardiogram we met with the doctor and she told us that the flap in Maddie's heart had closed, there is no longer a hole and that her heart looked perfect. She does, however, have a small murmur, just like her Mama and big brother, but it's nothing to worry about. And, this morning, I heard back from the Down syndrome clinic that Maddie's thyroid levels are normal. Yay!!

In other big news, we traded our car in for a minivan. That's right, we are now the proud owners of a 2007 Chrysler Town and Country. Grant couldn't be happier about having a minivan. I, on the other hand, am still adjusting to my new "Soccer Mom" role. I mean a minivan is serious stuff. There's no joking around. We're now a Professional Family, this is what I do for a living. And, I can't really be the young, hip, Mama I want to be while sporting a minivan, no matter how many times those Toyota Sienna commercials try to tell me otherwise. I think I may be taking this harder than I did turning 30.

Don't get me wrong, I like the minivan; there is a LOT more room, so I can tote my double stroller and have room for groceries, it has heated, leather seats, the doors open at the touch of a button, there's a built in navigation system and DVD player with wireless headphones so we don't have to hear Cars playing for the millionth time on long road trips, and all the seats fold nicely into compartments within the van itself. It's made for the Professional Family, to have every possible extra thing you could need to make it easier to schlep kids to and from places. I just wasn't ready to be a Professional Family yet, and didn't see the minivan coming anytime in the near future, but here we are.

Recently, Aiden's been demanding a little more attention than normal. I think he's feeling a little neglected because we've been so busy lately. What he needed was a little time all to himself with one of us. Unfortunately for me, Grant usually gets to be the one to do this with him since Maddie still needs me so much. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a little one-on-one time with my Buddy! But, I was SO happy that Grant was able to take him out today to play in the grass by the Cathedral. Plus, it gave Maddie and I a little one-on-one time, too.








He came back covered in dirt, and clearly had a great time with his Daddy! I can't wait for a Mommy/Buddy day. Hopefully soon!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Did you guys trade in the Element? I'm still mourning the loss of ours which we traded in shortly after Emmy's birth. Even to this day I get a little misty-eyed when I see one on the road. But the mini-van is definitely uber-convenient (if not uber-cool) with the two kids and all that goes with them. Enjoy! Glad Maddies most recent appointments went well!

Courtney Williams said...

Katie,
We actually traded that in after Christmas and got a Rav4, thinking that we'd have enough room in it. We were wrong. We were stuffed like sardines in it, especially when we went on road trips. It was silly of us not to just get a minivan in the beginning, but I was really resisting. It became clear that we needed something bigger pretty quickly. I forgot that you had an Element, too. It was a great car, but definitely not very family friendly.

Kristina said...

I went out and got my mini van very soon after Colton was born. I was the one who was excited to get one and Eric was not. He said he would never drive and now he is the one who drives it every time we drive together. I opted for a very inexpensive used one so that if I didn't like we weren't out too much. Since I like it so much next year I am trading it in for a nicer one. I am also so glad to hear Maddies results for both were good. One less thing to have to worry about.

Alyssa Herzog Melby said...

Yeah on Maddie's results! Woo hoo!

And don't think I haven't forgotten about the fanny pack, visor, and t-shirt. They're coming! Much needed for the professional family :-)