Friday, March 11, 2011

Spring Break

This week was Spring Break for Grant. We thought about trying to get out of town for a little while, but unfortunately, we just had too many appointments and a few that we couldn't cancel. So we decided to make the best of the time that we did have and do things around the Pittsburgh area that we haven't gotten around to doing yet. 

One of the things on our to-do list was to visit Lilliput Town Center. Basically, it's a miniature town made out of playhouses that are designed to look like real buildings. There was a market, a coffee shop, a theatre/tv studio, a doctors' office, a mechanic, a train station, and Aiden's favorite, a fire station. 

Aiden spent most of his time fixing cars, 


shopping at the market,


and putting out fires.











Maddie entertained herself by playing with her baby doll, whom she has fallen in love with (however, the dolls could never replace her beloved monkey).

(Please notice her big Buddha belly... I'm totally in love with it!)



Aiden had a blast, and I loved watching how excited he was about being a fireman! 

Then today we had big plans to go to the Carnegie Science Center since we've never been there, but last night it was predicted that we were getting 4-8 inches of snow (On a side note, I want to mention that we didn't even get 1 inch. At the most it was a dusting, which has mostly melted. Oh well.). So, we decided that we would have a day were we just hung around the house. 

I can't remember the last time we didn't have somewhere to go, something to do, or someone coming over and it was the most wonderful day we've had in a long time. I felt like we were able to reconnect as a family. We played with blocks and babies, built tents and towers, baked muffins and napped. There was very little whining or crying, and mostly just playing and smiles and laughter. We ordered pizza for dinner, got both babies bathed, jammied, and then read books. The kids were in bed by 8pm, happy and content. Then Grant and I spent the night watching a couple of TV shows. It was a perfect day and one that I will use to refuel me when I'm feeling stressed and hurried.

I'd still like to visit the Science Center, but I wouldn't trade today for anything! Tomorrow we go back to our real life and our Spring Break will be over. Grant goes back to work and things go back to normal. Next week is extremely hectic and I'll be away from the kiddos for most of the day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, but today was enough to help get me through when I'm missing them! Best. Day. Ever.

No comments: